Welcome to adobo-down-under!

Musings. Family. Food. Stories. Cooking. Recipes. Eating. A recipe journal. From simple Filipino dishes to challenging recipes and exciting gastronomical failures. This is for my girls to look back on for comfort, memories, laughs, love and lots of food!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Lasagna!

I made lasagna for dinner last night. Surprisingly, it was a first time for Mum. I’ve cooked baked pasta before but never lasagna. I’m not sure why but its probably the sheer handling of the lasagne sheets that I was afraid of. I found a Barilla Collezione pack from the fruit and vegetables shop in Eastwood that is ready to layer and cook. I thought lasagneasheets would be fragile pasta that I’d end up layering bits and pieces of them. But now I have renewed confidence in lasagna that it will probably be a monthly basic dinner or lunch dish. Next time, I’m thinking to use the same ingredients for the Baked Ziti which I haven’t posted here – which includes provolone cheese, parmesan and mozzarella plus sour cream, instead of the béchamel sauce that is the traditional lasagna dish.


This lasagna version was made with:

9 Barilla lasagne sheets

2 cans 400g Italian diced tomatoes

1 carrot, diced

1 celery stalk, diced

1 red capsicum, diced

1 cup basil, roughly chopped

1 onion, diced

5 cloves garlic, diced

500g minced pork

½ c pizza sauce

½ c tomato sauce

1 cup shredded tasty cheese

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Bechamel sauce

50g butter

50g flour

900ml milk, warmed

Ground nutmeg and salt to taste


There is a recipe on the back of the lasagne packaging but I took on my instincts and added ingredients I felt was fit to a pasta dish and whatever it was that could be substituted for. Like for tomato paste, I had to use the leftover pizza sauce (her, garlic and onions) which was in the refrigerator half-filled, and some of the remaining tomato sauce (catsup) to add a bit of sweetness to the dish.

The lasagne dish turned out well, and as with all pasta dishes, tasted even greater the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Another food fear overcome! We all have them and need to overcome the doubt in our minds to include some ingredients in our recipes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...