Welcome to adobo-down-under!

Musings. Family. Food. Stories. Cooking. Recipes. Eating. A recipe journal. From simple Filipino dishes to challenging recipes and exciting gastronomical failures. This is for my girls to look back on for comfort, memories, laughs, love and lots of food!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

In my kitchen this October

I am joining the monthly series In My Kitchen hosted by Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial starting October.  Every month, I quietly browse through all the lovely produce and books about food & gardening, kitchen utensils and other knick knacks  and food adventures from Celia and other food bloggers across the globe such as Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things, Life in Mud Sputtered BootsThe Clever Carrot, Lambs' Ears and Honey, Passion Fruit Garden, and so many more amazing bloggers.  So after awhile admiring from a distance, I thought enough of the stalking and why not join in the fun!  So here I am sharing my sanctuary that is my kitchen from this month on.

Our calamansi plant is looking lovely as ever.  Buds are sprouting and we're exciting to get some fruits in a few weeks.


Found these cute reusable doilies from IKEA.  They're washable too!

My fave. Roma tomatoes growing from an unlikely place - in between the nooks and crannies (tiles) of our front porch.

We've doing a trial with these guys - supporting local farmers by buying direct. But I'm not sure if they're better than if I get them straight from the local markets.

This lovely number was something I picked up from the roadside during a council clean up week.  A few brushes and cleaning and they're now holding my kitchen staples.

My latest recipe book acquisition. So many lovely recipes inside.


Finally picked up some Maggie Beer Sangiovese Verjuice from the weekend Masterchef Live event.  Excited to use them with summer fruits for compotes and coulis, and.....


Also from the Masterchef Live weekend, supporting Austalian produced sea salt flakes!  I'm imagining lots of dishes will be flavoured by these.


Another purchase from the Masterchef Live weekend - Caprino goats hard cheese from the Mornington Peninsula!  Lots and lots of savoury and sweet dishes running through my head.

I don't have a vegetable garden like Celia or a balcony garden like Mel, but would love to have one. And potted plants are my only option for now.  I need to wear one of them green gloves I think.  Maybe it'll help cover up my not-so-green thumb somehow.
 

10 comments:

  1. This is fun taking a peak in other kitchens. I wouldn't mind visiting yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have you joining in! :) Your tomatoes are doing so well! And I'm looking forward to seeing what your citrus looks like - is it similar to a kumquat? The doilies are a nice find - thanks for the headsup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting such a fun monthly series. Yes, the calamansi is actually called kumquat locally. Although we usually pick them while plump and green instead of waiting for them to turn yellow. Filipinos used them to add flavour to dips, marinades, make juice out of it, etc. The doilies were a nice find!

      Delete
  3. I love the cast iron and basket holder! And I love recycling that ends up with something I like in my kitchen- well done!
    Your citrus tree is beautiful in bud- I agree with Celia- would love to see what it looks like.
    The doilies look so useful and the patterns are perfect for dressing up desserts!
    Thanks for sharing your kitchen- I enjoyed seeing all your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words @heidiannie. I'm just as glad to share my sanctuary to fellow food lovers.

      Delete
  4. Hi there! How lovely that you are playing. Tomatoes already, wow! I am envious. Would you believe we are still having minuses overnight! You have some delicious goodies in your kitchen too. And thanks so much for the shout out. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! I can't believe the changes in weather these days. I love seeing your kitchen updates every month and I've been inspired to share mine. xx

      Delete
  5. I love your Council pick up find. It looks like a real treasure. Maus loves to find treasures in other people's discards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda. I find it kind of fun driving along the streets during council clean ups. Once I found a really old small table which had that lovely texture and character. I use it for taking food photos.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...